Pharmacy near the Plac Bohaterow Getta 18 (formerly Maly Rynek, then Plac Zgody) has nearly 100 years. Since 1910 its proprietor was Jozef Pankiewicz, and after him his son Tadeusz (21 November 1908 - 5 November 1993), who ran it since 1933. Before the war the clients of the pharmacy, one of the four in Podgorze, were both polish and Jewish residents of the district. A frequent customer was e.g. "Bikkur Cholim" charity.
When in March of 1941 Germans established a Podgorze ghetto for Kraków's Jews, Pankiewicz's pharmacy at the Plac Zgody was the only one found in its limits, and its proprietor was the only Pole with rights to stay in it. Pharmacy was the place of Jewish intellectuals meetings, scientists and artists that lived in the ghetto. Soon it also started delivering to ghetto residents various resources and medicaments, which were helpful in efforts to avoid deportation: hair dyes, luminal used to calm children hidden in hideouts, or smuggled in luggage beyond ghetto. During bloody actions of displacement at the Plac Zgody in 1942 Pharmacy personnel issued free medicines and dressings. Pharmacy's recesses were used as shelters, saving Jews from deportation to extermination camps. Pankiewicz and his assistants Irena Drozdzikowska, Aurelia Danek and Helena Krywaniuk were liaisons between Jews in the ghetto and beyond it, passing the information and smuggling food. They also were depositaries of valuables entrusted to them by deported Jews in the last moments before leaving the ghetto.