Meanwhile in the 1950s, the Museum owned quite important collections. One of them is memorabilia of dissolution the Marksmen Brotherhood in 1951 as enacted by the communist government with most precious treasure - fellowship's silver cock from 1565. Museum took over other outlawed organizations' collection, e.g. Commercial and Trade Board's, Charity Society's ones. In the same time Arts Museum given to Historical Museum precious collection of theatre items, related to history of Kraków's theatres. Furthermore, through the purchase Museum gained collection of Kraków's bookseller and collector, president Jozef Friedlein. The most important part of this collection is iconographic materials of old Kraków.
In 1959 the Jewish Community gave to the museum for its statutory purposes building of the Old Synagogue at 24 Szeroka Street, since then renewing works started there, managed by Museum.
In years 1961-1967 the City Hall Tower has been renewed as well, and then it has been give to museum to organize, seasonally open exhibition of city authorities memorabilia. In the following years ownership of museum grown, the most important event was getting in 1965 spacey building with perfect location - Krzysztofory Palace at Main Square 35, where the permanent exhibition "History and culture of Kraków" has been moved. Opening of new exhibition prepared by museum's employees was on the 21st of July, 1979. In Krzysztofory Palace the museum's board, science and research departments have been located. Till then they were located at Swietego Ducha Street.
In 1969 at "The Cross House" (currently 21 Szpitalna Street) the exhibition "History of Kraków's theatre" has been opened. It was a third permanent exhibition of Historical Museum, which is allowed for visiting since, apart from period of 1978-1987.
At the end of 1960s, the Museum had owned some space at Franciszkanska 4 Street, so altogether there were several branches.
Next permanent exhibition "Military items and clocks in The Historical Museum of the City of Kraków Collection" has been opened in 1976 in Krauzowa House. It was possible thanks to very precious personal gift - huge clocks collection of Wladyslaw Miodonski. It was the last exhibition presented at that location - it has been moved to Krzysztofory Palace in 1985. Currently collection is a perfect supplement to arrangement at Hipolit House.
The 1980s was a time of further museum development. On 26th November 1980 the important exhibition of history and culture of Polish Jews has been opened in renewed Old Synagogue. In 1982, partially museum's managed "Silesian House" at 2 Pomorska Street was made accessible for visitors, containing former Gestapo's prison cells; apart from that permanent exhibition has been set up basing on Second World War memorabilia. Current exhibition, recently rebuild is presented under the title of "Kraków in 1939 - 1956". In the same time it was planned to open the Printing Museum at given space at Golebia Street, where the workshop of famous Kraków's binder Robert Jahoda has been located. The first step was to establish temporary exhibition related to building's history. Despite the taken actions, permanent exhibition could not be set. Finally, due to bad condition of the museum's room, the administration gave up on idea of creating another branch and had vacated the building.
Meanwhile in the middle of the 1980s, museum started to prepare two brand new branches. More recently, the Marksmen Brotherhood has been re-activated, under the name of Kraków's Marksmen Society - Marksmen Brotherhood. They have been revealed with rights to Celestat building in Marksmen Garden at 16 Lubicz Street 16. Due to agreement between Society and Museum's board, the building has been planned to be home of exhibition of Brotherhood's history. Renewing and preparation works took few years to finalize. In June of 1997, a new exhibition "The history of Kraków's Marksmen Brotherhood" has been opened.