The second building gained for museum's purposes is Hipolit House, at 3 St. Mary's square. In 1986, plans for re-evaluation and adaptation of the building were made. After long renewing works and restoration, the scenario of exhibition presenting history of townspeople's interiors opened. A permanent exhibition entitled "Townspeople's house" was opened in November 2003.
Next Museum's branch established in 1993 was Zwierzyniec's Art Showroom, at the 41 Krolowej Jadwigi Street, where small exhibition "Flat at Zwierzyniec in beginning of 20th century" is set; the building is as well home of Zwierzyniec's Art Showroom. This branch is under particular care of District no. 7 Council.
Since 1999, under Museum's responsibility is Barbakan, one of most interesting examples of medieval defence made accessible for tourists in the summer.
In 2003, Museum gained another object - "Pod Orlem" (Eagle) Pharmacy at Bohaterow Getta Square 18, where during the Second World War occupation, support for Kraków's Jews was organized. In the partially restored interiors of former pharmacy owned by Tadeusz Pankiewicz, an exhibition related to tragedy of holocaust in Kraków is set.
In 2004, President of Kraków professor Jacek Majchrowski decided to organize by Historical Museum branch of Nowa Huta's history. Recently formed workshop started work in documenting cultural and historical heritage of Nowa Huta district.
In years 2005-2007 the museum arranged a jubilee project for the 750th anniversary of Kraków foundation on the basis of the Magdeburg Law. The most important part of this event was series of the foundation related exhibitions initiated in 2005 with an exhibition titled Legends and mysteries of Kraków. In 2006, as a part of the series, we presented exhibition titled Kraków in Christian Europe 10th – 13th centuries. A summary of the series was exhibition from 2007 titled Kraków – European City of the Magdeburg Law 1257-1791. The exhibition were extended with science sessions, publications and concerts. In June 2007 we opened a tourist route City Defense Walls – The Barbican: the museum made a part of the City Defense Walls at Pijarska Street, from the Passamentiers Tower to the Arsenal, available for public.
In last years our museum entered the phase of intensive development, and because of this fact many changes in activities of our organization were made. Since 2005 we have a new branch – The history of Nowa Huta, acting in form of ecomuseum. The Nowa Huta branch was deeply involved in celebrations related to the 60th anniversary of the Nowa Huta establishment.
In 2007 we have started opening next two branches. At 4 Lipowa Street, in old German Factory of Enameled Vessels, during the World War II owned by Oskar Schindler, we are preparing new exhibition – Kraków – the occupation time (1939-1945). In Autumn of 2008 in old administrative building of the factory we established the museum’s branch. In spite of the fact that the exhibition hasn’t been opened yet, this place is memorial place reminding about the extermination’s times. Our museum prepared a project of exhibition – Underground Main Square, which in 2010 will be available for public as underground tourist route to the East parts of the Main Square. The exhibition will be a combination of archeological reserve and multimedia presentations.
For the last few years we have been working on renovation of the Krzysztofory Palace which in 2009 was transferred into possession of the museum. We are planning to finish Works by 2013 and celebrate it by opening of the exhibition dedicated to the history and culture of Kraków. At Księcia Józefa Street we have started constructions of a new building – a repository for museum’s exhibits and renovation workshops. A goal for all these activities is to adjust our museum to the European museums standards.